My research interests lie in the science of weather-producing systems, with a particular interest in high-impact weather such as heat waves, droughts, and compound events. I use a combination of observational and reanalysis data sets to understand the large-scale synoptic-dynamics of extreme weather. Using model ensembles, I employ innovative statistical methods to investigate the underlying processes that are of importance for the structure and development of these events.
Chenhui Jin (PhD candidate, Monash University): Understanding the dynamics of synoptic systems and their role in drought over Southeastern Australia
- Rossby wave in jet stream triggers flooding rain, scientist says. ABC News, 7 July 2022 [Link]
- Huge winter chill hits the southeast bringing snow, rain and wind. Yahoo News, 27 May 2022 [Link]
- Planetary waves, cut-off lows and blocking highs: what’s behind record floods across the Southern Hemisphere? The Conversation, 25 May 2022 [Link]
- Heat, Floods, Fires: Jet stream is key link in climate disasters. Bloomberg Green, 22 July 2021 [Link]
- Flash droughts can dry out soil in weeks. New research shows what they look like in Australia. The Conversation, 4 June 2021 [Link]. This article has been nominated for The Best Australian Science Writing 2022 and the UNSW Press Bragg Prize for Science Writing 2022.
- What's cranking up the heat across south-eastern Australia? The Conversation, 13 January 2014 [Link]
Briefing Notes / Reports
- The state of weather and climate extremes 2022. ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes [Link]
- High impact compound events in Australia. ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes Briefing Note, September 2022 [Link]
- Understanding Australia's Rainfall. ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes Briefing Note, June 2022 [Link]
- The state of weather and climate extremes 2021. ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes [Link]
- Fact sheet: Flash drought in Australia. Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub, National Environmental Science Program, 2021. [Link]
- Climate Change in a land of extremes (Contribution to section on flash drought). Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub, National Environmental Science Program, 2021 [Link]
I am an Ordinary Council Member (and past Treasurer) of AMOS, the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society.